Inventive Dingo forums Inventive Dingo forums
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or signup. October 26, 2024, 07:09:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction thread  (Read 81896 times)
[WACKY]Walter
Space cadet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 12:30:13 am »

Sounds like I haven't explained things very well in the tutorial. Do you have any suggestions for improving that? Anything in particular which put you off?
Well, take what I say with a grain of salt. I learn kinesthetically, and I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to game explanations. I believe that gameplay design should be accessible enough for players to understand it intuitively within a few moments in the game. This is one of the cornerstones of Shigeru Miyamoto's games.

But what struck me in MI was how much text was necessary to explain the basic gameplay. It's daunting to new players, I think, for a game to need much explanation. However, once I launched a quick game and saw that what actually occurred on each turn was relatively simple, I finally got it. Minutes later, I understood (nearly) all the quirks of the game, and how to succeed. And obviously by then I was HOOKED.

A simple way to convey this I think would be to SHOW players the game through a pop-up tutorial in an in-game experience, rather than have a page-by-page explanation. Example:  Tutorial 1: select your main planet. This will show how many ships are docked in the planet (click). Tutorial 2: drag the ships to another planet... etc.
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 12:48:59 am »

A simple way to convey this I think would be to SHOW players the game through a pop-up tutorial in an in-game experience, rather than have a page-by-page explanation. Example:  Tutorial 1: select your main planet. This will show how many ships are docked in the planet (click). Tutorial 2: drag the ships to another planet... etc.

Good point. It has been my experience that people only really "get" the game by playing it - probably a mix of me being bad at explaining, and text not being a good way to explain it anyway. So I probably should do a tutorial similar to what you're suggesting.
Ray Tracer
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 06:43:29 am »

Another Aussie! G'day. Grin

Hope that nasty Melbourne heatwave isn't getting you down too much...

Nope, The aircon has been keeping me cool. Grin
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 06:44:43 am »

Ha. In that case, you're probably keeping cooler than I am. Cheesy
teufelernie
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 08:39:03 pm »

Hey guys,

my nick is teufelernie, I am 25 years old and I love strategy games.
@reallife I am working at a european datacenter company.

A few weeks ago I stopped wasting my time playing World of Warcraft (got five high lvl chars there) and I decided to play some css in the evening. On the steam starting ad page which I have not disabled I saw this game. Tried the demo and then I get the full version.

If somebody like strategy games like command&conquer red alert you should like mayhem too  Wink
Won 16 multiplayer games, lost one... somebody here who like to decrease my fantastic statistics? ;p

Btw: please forgive me my bad english, I was never interested in english tense & continuative vocabulary  Grin

BR
teufelernie
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 12:31:43 am »

Welcome, teufelernie!

Congratulations on kicking the WoW habit. Wink  I've purposely avoided playing MMOs because I'm sure I would get sucked in and spend far too much time on them!

Your English is pretty good, especially considering that this is the internet, where nobody cares about grammar. Grin
teufelernie
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 10:33:17 pm »

especially considering that this is the internet, where nobody cares about grammar. Grin

omg made my day  Grin
btw: normally we have to cry cus the internet make us so stupid  Lips sealed
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 12:42:19 am »

I've never thought the internet makes people stupid. I think it's where smart people come to be stupid.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:44:18 am by Minus » Logged

My SteamID - Let's have a game!
Mayhem Intergalactic Steam Group - Let's have a bigger game!
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 12:41:26 am »

Wisely spoken, Zen Master Minus.
LordAndrew
Space cadet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 01:48:22 am »

Hey there! It's LordAndrew. You may recognize me from Giant Bomb. I'm the only person there who ever talks about this game.  Sad

I'm a 22 year old Canadian guy, currently on break from college. I've found myself with a fair amount of free time, so I've been playing Mayhem Intergalactic a fair bit lately. Mostly because I wanted my monocled alien.  Grin I finally got that last achievement a couple days ago, but I don't actually think I'm ready to stop just yet. I recently played a few rounds of multiplayer against another human player, which I enjoyed. I thought I would never be able to do that, so it was certainly a pleasant surprise.  Smiley

I'll keep playing every so often, and hopefully I'll be able to play some more games against other players. I might also experiment with creating custom maps, and see if I can create something that doesn't totally suck.  Cheesy
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2009, 02:27:46 am »

Hi LordAndrew, nice to see you around here. Thanks for being Mayhem Intergalactic's de-facto Giant Bomb ambassador! Wink

Congrats again on getting that last achievement. One of these days we might even be able to ramp up the multiplayer community a bit. Smiley
CyberMage
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20:52 pm »

I purchased the game and joined this website on 24 March.

AGE > 59¾  Cry
LOCATION > Eastern Canada (Montreal region)
JOB > Professor of Greek Philosophy

I have been a passionate PC gamer since May 1994, when I started with Master of Orion (on DOS). I now own hundreds of games. That hobby has significantly reduced my intellectual book-reading and research time -- to the point that it has frozen me out of any deep academic career.  Grin

Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 08:39:02 am »

Welcome! I like your sense of priorities. Cheesy
samsmith
Space cadet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 06:16:22 am »

Hello I am jack I am new in this forum

Daisy22
Space cadet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2016, 01:12:34 pm »

Hello, I am Daisy Simpson, a university professor,and I like to believe that I'm a very good professional freelance writer. Now I work as editor at dissertation proposal.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: