Inventive Dingo forums Inventive Dingo forums
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or signup. October 24, 2024, 08:10:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Translation issues  (Read 11592 times)
Knopfdruckoffizier
Space cadet

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:52:30 am »

i actually translated the game into german language, so far its complete, but i have some issues.
german language uses äÄ, öÖ, üÜ, and ß - how should i encode it in the text file, because if i use it directly inside the txt file the chars arent displayed and text gets partly wrecked. so far i was using ae, oe, ue and ss as a workaround.

i think other languages will have problems too like frensh, spanish etc...

its suggested to create a new language folder like "/data/german/strings.txt" but there is no option in the game to select the language if there is any other one then english, so i just replaced the "/data/english/strings.txt" and it works without problems.
btw "/data/deutsch/strings.txt" for german is also mentioned, i think its not quite clear yet how language files will be handled Wink
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:54:34 am by Knopfdruckoffizier » Logged
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:01:02 pm »

Wow! There are translations coming from everywhere. I already had a couple of people volunteer to translate it into a few other languages. This is great. Smiley

Save the file using UTF-8 encoding, then those characters will work. They won't display on the title screen since there's a problem with that font (it's missing some characters), but don't worry about that - I'll fix it.

Yes, language selection isn't implemented yet, since there haven't been any non-English languages to choose from! Well, actually you can add some command-line arguments, like this: mayhemig.exe --language german - but there's no user-friendly method. Looks like I will have to implement one soon. As you discovered, it's fine to just call it "english" for now.

If you email strings.txt to me once you're done, I'd be happy to incorporate your translation into a future version of Mayhem Intergalactic, assuming I have your permission to do so.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:02:51 pm by Chris » Logged
Knopfdruckoffizier
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 12:30:34 pm »

okay so utf8!
its fine Cheesy

please take care of the End Turn button to be translateable - atm its just an image

ill send you the strings.txt as soon i checked the hotkey bindings Smiley
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 12:36:52 pm »

Oh, yeah. I think I have the end turn button images in layers somewhere, so it should be possible to translate them relatively easily. Files in language directories override the ones under data\base, so if there are files called data\german\graphics\endturnbutton[1..8].png then they'll be used instead of data\base\graphics\endturnbutton[1..8].png.
Jp
Pilot

Yet Another Generic Information-Age User Name

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:17 am »

I note that this means the games graphics and sounds are moddable.

I'll have to nostalgia-mod MI.

I used to play Mayhem Intergalactic before it was cool.
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:02:13 am »

I note that this means the games graphics and sounds are moddable.

You bet! Smiley

I'll have to nostalgia-mod MI.

I look forward to it. Grin
Prez
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »

Ok , I am working for a Italian Version
Fabio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: