Inventive Dingo forums Inventive Dingo forums
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or signup. October 24, 2024, 08:09:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Any cheats/codes available for Mayhem Intergalactic?  (Read 40838 times)
LintMan
Space cadet

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2009, 03:36:12 am »

Hello,

Are there (or will there be) any cheats/console codes available (for single player) for this game?  It looks interesting, but my general policy is not to buy games that don't have them available.

Thanks!
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:50 am »

my general policy is not to buy games that don't have them available.
Interesting, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with that policy before. Smiley  Any particular reason for that?

Currently there aren't any cheat codes. You can mess with settings a lot and make completely unbalanced maps and that sort of thing, but there are no cheats as such; I've never thought of them as a feature that people would particularly want. They're easy enough to add though.

I'm open to suggestions for specific cheats you like to see. Smiley  I guess creating ships, super-upgrades on factories, that kind of thing?
LintMan
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:43:11 am »

I know it seems like an odd policy - the short explanation for which is that for me, cheat codes add a lot of experimental freedom (ie: fun) to a game - even (or especially) to one that I've gotten bored or frustrated with.  There's been many times when I've been ready to delete a game from my hard disk in disappointment, but using cheats has added enough interest/fun back into it to continue playing and feel like it wasn't a waste of time/money. 

As for specific cheats/codes, some ideas:
- allow you to add one or more ships (user specifiable #) to a selected planet (yours or enemy).
- allow you to upgrade a selected planet's factory (yours or enemy) outside of the one-per-turn limit.
- show how many ships a selected planet has
- change ownership of a planet?
- add a new AI player to existing game?
- change map elements from within the game? (ie: add a new planet)
- change an AI player settings from within the game? (ie: boost an AI's settings or tune it down)
The first 2 or 3 are the basic ones I'd hope for.   The others would be "gravy".

Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:35:48 am »

I'll see what I can do.
DangerosoDavo
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:24:18 pm »

I Would just like to say:

wtf?Huh??  Roll Eyes

cheat codes are a bad idea for the game... terrible idea.. dont make them it will ruin the game.
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 12:20:11 am »

Well that's one vote for, one vote against... anyone else care to weigh in? Smiley

To be clear, I would never allow such cheat codes to be used in multiplayer games, and they'd be hidden away sufficiently that you wouldn't be overly tempted to use them in singleplayer.
RubenKraken
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 12:35:06 am »

As a purchase policy it seems a little odd, but I don't see how it detracts from someone else if someone wants to cheat, even making cheats possible in multiplayer is pretty common in many games, although serious play would have them off, naturally.

So... mark me as a vote for: sure, why not?

LintMan
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:51:48 am »

cheat codes are a bad idea for the game... terrible idea.. dont make them it will ruin the game.

How does it "ruin the game"?  If you don't like them, don't use them.  Why do you care how I play a single player game?  If I want to put steak sauce on my steak, does it ruin your meal?

Quote from: RubenKraken
As a purchase policy it seems a little odd, but I don't see how it detracts from someone else if someone wants to cheat, even making cheats possible in multiplayer is pretty common in many games, although serious play would have them off, naturally.

I think of cheat availability partly as added game value and partly like an insurance policy.  It makes me a lot more willing to take a chance on purchasing games I might not otherwise consider.

As for multiplayer cheats - I used to have a blast playing Warcraft II with a friend with the instant-build cheat turned on for everyone.  Makes for a frenetic game!  But all I'm really looking for is single-player-only ones, and certainly I'd expect that achievements would be disabled if they were used.

Thanks for your open-mindedness!

Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 02:01:27 am »

Well, OK, I'll add a coda to that: I would never allow such cheat codes to be used in multiplayer games unless specifically enabled. Smiley
Frob
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:52:58 am »

I don't know exactly what value achievements have, but I don't want some kid to cheat his way into anything meaningful.  If somebody enables a cheat, disable any sort of extra benefits they get, like the achievements.  I'm not sure if achievements are Steam-only or what, but hopefully you can have some control over it.

As long as somebody can't just enable a cheat to gain fame, I don't really see any reason not to add them.
StraxusD
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:05:46 am »

I have always thought cheat codes were dumb. I remember in high school when Quake came out and I would see kids playing it on Nightmare difficulty with God Mode enabled.  What is the point in that??  I say no cheats, but maybe an Easter Egg or two... like say funny looking ships or some strange background you enable.

Do you know what your sin is?
Ah hell, I am a fan of all seven, but right now, I am going to go with wrath.
Vang
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:39:08 am »

Easter Eggs are cool.  I'd love to know the story behind the "Am I talking to Miranda now?" Achievement.  That has to be some sort of Easter Egg, especially since there is a Miranda on the board here.  Wink

As for cheats, go ahead and implement them.  But also make an achievement that one can only get by using a cheat code in a game.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:43:03 am by Vang » Logged

"Civilization is based on the absence of Natural Selection."
DangerosoDavo
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 02:39:41 pm »

sorry about my first post i was already having a bad day, this is more how i feel on the subject lol

I wouldnt have a problem with singleplayer cheats but i detest cheating and cheats (sorry but thats my view)
There must eb an option to have them turned off and on any official server they shoiuld be disabled, but to be honest with such a small playerbase cheats shouldnt be implemented in multiplayer at all just yet.

there we go Smiley a post when im having a decent day
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:03 pm »

Well that's one vote for, one vote against... anyone else care to weigh in? Smiley

To be clear, I would never allow such cheat codes to be used in multiplayer games, and they'd be hidden away sufficiently that you wouldn't be overly tempted to use them in singleplayer.

I tend to err on the side of options. Obviously, to use or not use the cheat would be optional, so I don't see why one would vote against them.

No opinion on them personally, though since discovering the usefulness of developer consoles in many games, I would probably end up using them for one reason or another, but probably not to just cheat.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:50:32 pm by Minus » Logged

My SteamID - Let's have a game!
Mayhem Intergalactic Steam Group - Let's have a bigger game!
Boris
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 11:39:32 pm »

Add another vote for "Sure, why not," but I would put cheats as a low priority on the list.

Speaking of which, what does that list look like so far, Chris? Seems like you've been getting a lot suggestions Tongue .
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: