Inventive Dingo forums Inventive Dingo forums
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or signup. October 24, 2024, 08:09:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone play online?  (Read 32704 times)
ruffle607
Space cadet

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2009, 09:42:06 pm »

Anyone play online? for some reason it says i got a firewall
Prez
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:54:57 pm »

Me too, I launch the game but my friends cannot connect, i put down the firewall but my friends cannot still connect
Prez
ruffle607
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:40:08 pm »

i got it to work and it was quite fun
ruffle607
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »

hmm it seems that unless i host, the game will not let me connect.
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:16:44 am »

There are two usual causes for game networking errors: Firewalls and routers.

The first thing to try is to turn off all your firewalls. If that fixes the problem, turn the firewalls back on and add appropriate exceptions. If your firewall works on a per-application basis, you just need to allow the Mayhem Intergalactic program full access to the internet. If you're having problems with hosting the game, you may also need to allow incoming connections on the port that you're hosting on (the default port is 7465, but you can change it to any port on the "create server" screen).

If you've turned off all your firewalls and people still can't join the game that you're hosting, and especially if you have more than one computer in your house, then you probably have a router issue. Most home routers are Network Address Translation (NAT) routers, which means they share one public IP address between multiple computers. Each computer shares that one public IP address, but has its own private IP address.

Computers on the internet only know your public IP address, and all information directed to any computers in your house is sent to that public IP address. So your router needs to know how to sort that information and deliver it to the private IP address (this is the step that puts the "NAT" in "NAT router").

For normal web browsing, email, etc., the router is smart enough to figure it out on its own. But if you're hosting a server (for example, a Mayhem Intergalactic game server) then you need to tell your router that you're doing that, so that the router knows where to send incoming connections.

Telling the router that you're hosting a server is called "port forwarding". It's a little complicated to set up, but you only have to do it once.

Different routers have different methods for forwarding ports. The first step is to find out your router's brand and model number. This will usually be written on the side of the router, and on the packaging that came with it. For example, my router has "D-Link DI-704P" on the side. D-Link is the brand, DI-704P is the model number. Yours will probably be different.

A router physically looks like a little box, and has all of your computers' network cables plugged into it. (Or, if you use wireless networking, it might have an antenna instead.) It will typically also have another network cable plugged into your modem, which your ISP will have supplied (or required you to buy). Occasionally the modem and router are integrated into one unit.

Once you've found your router's model number, visit this page at PortForward.com and search the page for it. Click on your model number, and then go to the "Default Guide". You'll get a detailed guide, specific to your router, on how to set up port forwarding. When it asks for a port, put in 7465, unless you changed that number on the "Create game" screen. You should forward both TCP and UDP.

I know this is a total pain. I'll try to get some dedicated servers up so that you don't have to host games yourself.
ruffle607
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:15:56 am »

i really like the fact that you're listening to us. This game is great so far! I lilke to drink beer and play it. Really quite relaxing after a long day Smiley
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:57 am »

i really like the fact that you're listening to us.

I couldn't imagine not doing so, since I'm able. Smiley

This game is great so far! I lilke to drink beer and play it. Really quite relaxing after a long day Smiley

Good stuff! Any particular beer? Grin
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 07:37:05 am »

What would be great for us Steam users is an official group, so we could network a little and get a game up. You want to play a couple rounds tonight Chris?  Smiley

here's my ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagicMinus
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:39:18 am by Minus » Logged

My SteamID - Let's have a game!
Mayhem Intergalactic Steam Group - Let's have a bigger game!
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 07:42:31 am »

You mean something like this? Smiley

I'd love to, but I'm swamped with bug fixes and the odd promotional drive. Also, Doctor Who is on TV in 50 minutes. I'm hungry but trying to hold out on dinner until then so I can combine eating and watching. Another time maybe?

Have fun without me!

Edit: My Steam ID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/InventiveDingo. Feel free to add me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:45:46 am by Chris » Logged
Minus
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 07:48:21 am »

You mean something like this? Smiley

Haha, yes, exactly. Joined.

Another time maybe?

Certainly.

Edit: My Steam ID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/InventiveDingo. Feel free to add me.

Done.

My SteamID - Let's have a game!
Mayhem Intergalactic Steam Group - Let's have a bigger game!
Prez
Destroyer of Worlds

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 08:49:06 am »

i really like the fact that you're listening to us.

I couldn't imagine not doing so, since I'm able. Smiley

This game is great so far! I lilke to drink beer and play it. Really quite relaxing after a long day Smiley

Good stuff! Any particular beer? Grin

I like the "pilsner" kind , no malted or double malted, no red beer, My fovourite is "Becks"
Please put a pushbutton inside the game, so pushing it my glass will be refuel :-)
Fabio
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 09:48:01 am »

I like the "pilsner" kind , no malted or double malted, no red beer, My fovourite is "Becks"

I must try that one! Smiley

Please put a pushbutton inside the game, so pushing it my glass will be refuel :-)

I'll put it on the to-do list...
RubenKraken
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:37 pm »

I've been using Hamachi to play with friends online without any troubles or needing to bother with port forwarding. I use it for all games that support network based play. A quick and dirty guide on how to set it up:

Download and install the program and setup a server in the application (there is a guide on how to do that when you first run Hamachi). All of your friends will need to download and login to Hamachi and you will get a unique Hamachi IP. Someone should host the game under Multiplayer > Local in MI, then everyone else will need to use the person's Hamachi IP to join their game under Local instead of Internet in MI. Then...PLAY!

Felix
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »

I'll have to give hamachi a try, setting up port forwarding and turning off firewalls didn't help. At least there was the dedicated to play on =)
Vang
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 07:25:42 am »

I can usually find games online, even while at work despite our heavy handed Firewall settings.  My problem is every single game I get in gets server disconnected a turn or two into it. It's frustrating.

"Civilization is based on the absence of Natural Selection."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: