Inventive Dingo forums Inventive Dingo forums
News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or signup. October 23, 2024, 09:43:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downgrades/obtaining old versions  (Read 11582 times)
sys2061
Space cadet

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:12:10 am »

I'm tempted to buy this game "directly" rather than through Steam, partly in the hope that more of my money will go to the right person, but also because I like the idea of being able to keep an old version if I prefer it, instead of Steam forcing me to update. 

So that makes me wonder: is it possible to obtain older versions of the game?
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:10:17 am »

I'm tempted to buy this game "directly" rather than through Steam, partly in the hope that more of my money will go to the right person
Why, thank you. Smiley  (For the record, Valve are very nice people too.)

but also because I like the idea of being able to keep an old version if I prefer it, instead of Steam forcing me to update. 

So that makes me wonder: is it possible to obtain older versions of the game?
Sure. There's no automated system for doing it, but if you're a direct customer you can ask me and I'll send them to you. Smiley

I should note that there's generally no point in downgrading; each new version comes with a bunch of bug fixes and is often multiplayer-incompatible with the previous version. I've never removed functionality in any version, and if something is bugging you about a new version then I'll do my best to fix it.
sys2061
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 11:43:43 am »

Well, it just sounds like you've done some things which more substantial than bug fixes, and if nothing else I'm interested to see how it has changed.  And I'm not very big on multiplayer, unless it's the rare sort of game that's fun to lose all the time.  Guess why! ;-)

Besides, exploiting old bugs can be fun (not in a competitive game, of course).  For instance, in Left 4 Dead they recently fixed a bug when you could bash the fixed-position mini-guns, jump on, and be flung across the map.  Lot's of fun.  No doubt they removed it because it breaks the balance in Versus multiplayer, but I can't have that experience any more, in co-op or single-player, because I can't run that old version.  I think The Ship has had serious changes, which were later made optional.  But if they hadn't got around to making it optional, it would probably have ruined the game for some people.

Looking through your News page, all the changes sound like big improvements, which no sane person would dislike, or fixing bugs of the boring type.  Rifts sound like a significant change, but don't affect pre-rift maps.  So there's probably nothing I actually want to "rewind", which makes my question academic. 

But there are forum ideas for the future like upgradable ships (which you might never implement), which would complicate the game, and I might not like some of them.  But perhaps you would make such hypothetical game changes as per-game options?

Does the non-Steam version have DRM?

Oh, and does Steam's Servers view know how to browse Mayhem games?  (Or is it likely in future?)

PS: you might want to make your country a little more obvious.  You never know, it might be good for sales.
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 11:51:11 am »

Well, it just sounds like you've done some things which more substantial than bug fixes, and if nothing else I'm interested to see how it has changed.  And I'm not very big on multiplayer, unless it's the rare sort of game that's fun to lose all the time.  Guess why! ;-)

Heh, don't worry - I'm really bad at most multiplayer games. Smiley  Though I can give most people a run for their money in Mayhem Intergalactic, funnily enough.

Besides, exploiting old bugs can be fun (not in a competitive game, of course).  For instance, in Left 4 Dead they recently fixed a bug when you could bash the fixed-position mini-guns, jump on, and be flung across the map.  Lot's of fun.  No doubt they removed it because it breaks the balance in Versus multiplayer, but I can't have that experience any more, in co-op or single-player, because I can't run that old version.  I think The Ship has had serious changes, which were later made optional.  But if they hadn't got around to making it optional, it would probably have ruined the game for some people.

I do see where you're coming from. That's absolutely fair enough, which is why the offer stands!

Looking through your News page, all the changes sound like big improvements, which no sane person would dislike, or fixing bugs of the boring type.  Rifts sound like a significant change, but don't affect pre-rift maps.  So there's probably nothing I actually want to "rewind", which makes my question academic. 

But there are forum ideas for the future like upgradable ships (which you might never implement), which would complicate the game, and I might not like some of them.  But perhaps you would make such hypothetical game changes as per-game options?

Multiple ship types is not going to happen. I don't have any current plans to make any major game-changing modifications at this stage, although I do welcome ideas to that effect since I'm always open to being convinced.

Whether I'd implement a change as an option would depend on the change. For some changes it would make sense; for others it wouldn't. I do at least promise to seriously listen to complaints about unwanted changes in the event that you have any. Smiley

Does the non-Steam version have DRM?

Nope.

Oh, and does Steam's Servers view know how to browse Mayhem games?  (Or is it likely in future?)

They should. If they don't, then that's a bug I'd want to fix. Smiley

Regardless, all internet games will show up on the in-game internet servers list.

PS: you might want to make your country a little more obvious.  You never know, it might be good for sales.

Good point. I have been meaning to add an "about" page to the website.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:52:57 am by Chris » Logged
sys2061
Space cadet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:18:55 pm »

What you say about changes sounds like a good policy.  But on the whole, I like the various freedoms of the non-Steam version, so I've just bought it. :-)

Looks like I've already obtained one of the older versions!  The download seems to be v1.2.0, not 1.2.1.  I know where to request the update, but is it supposed to be offering 1.2?  (I guess the newness of the update might have something to do with it...)

BTW, thank you for supporting widescreen (I don't remember even having to select my desktop resolution) and multimonitor.  So many big-name games fail to lock the pointer to the game's monitor!  Your attention to detail is appreciated.
Chris
Administrator

Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 12:24:47 am »

What you say about changes sounds like a good policy.  But on the whole, I like the various freedoms of the non-Steam version, so I've just bought it. :-)

Cheers mate. Grin

Looks like I've already obtained one of the older versions!  The download seems to be v1.2.0, not 1.2.1.  I know where to request the update, but is it supposed to be offering 1.2?  (I guess the newness of the update might have something to do with it...)

Ehe... oops. I updated the version available from here, but forgot to update the one delivered by the payment provider. Mea culpa. I'll fix that.

BTW, thank you for supporting widescreen (I don't remember even having to select my desktop resolution) and multimonitor.  So many big-name games fail to lock the pointer to the game's monitor!  Your attention to detail is appreciated.

Just doing my job!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: